Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tank Continues

I'm almost ready to start sealing the tank.  I got the issue with the baffle all straightened out.  I plugged the holes I had drilled in the attach brackets and repositioned the baffle using the tank skin against the wing leading edge skin and main skin.  I was then able to drill the inboard most attach bracket which sets the position of the baffle relative to the spar.  I then removed the tank skin and drilled the remaining holes in the attach brackets through the baffle.  Van's method has you slotting the holes in the baffle, but I think I prefer my method.

Double-flush Plug Repair (1/8" hole)
With the baffle position straigthened out I could move on to drilling the remaining rivet holes on the tank.  Then it was time to disassemble the tank for deburring, edge finishing and dimnpling.  As of this writing I'm about 40% done dimpling the tank sikn and done with all of the ribs.

Tank Skin During Capacitive Fuel Sender Installation
 
Capactive Fuel Sender Plate
I used a fly cutter to cut the access hole in the inboard tank rib, drilled the attach holes, and riveted the nutplates onto the rib.  All-in-all I think the tank assembly is going really well.  I think I'll be mixing my first batch of tank sealant this weekend.

Tank Nose Attach Brackets

Fuel Cap Flange with Vent Line Bracket

Inboard Tank Rib with Access Cutout



No comments:

Post a Comment