Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tank Baffle Issues


I got the T-712 tank attach brackets all primed up and riveted the nutplates to them.  I bolted the brackets to the spar and clecoed the tank baffle to the spar.  I'm having some issues with the alignment of the baffle and tank brackets.  The outboard most rib rivet line isn't lining up with the hole in the attach bracket.

Priming the T-712 Tank Attach Brackets
Tank Baffle Clecoed in Place
Misaligned Hole Between Attach Bracket and Baffle

After discussing the issue with a fellow builder, I decided to cleco the tank skin in place with a couple of ribs.  The objective was to determine if my attach brackets were off or if the tank baffle was off.  After I got the tank skin clecoed to the bottom of the wing a clear problem presented itself.  With the baffle in its current location the tank skin is about a tenth of an inch too far inboard.


Gap Between W-709 and T-701 Skins
 
Close Up of Gap
 
I'm thinking that I need to scrap the existing tank attach brackets and redo them, but back drill through the spar into the attach brackets.  In order to ensure that the tank is in the correct position, I can cleco the tank together line up the butt joint between the two skins as well as the attach screws on the spar flange.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment